The retirement packages attached below provide information that will be useful to you as you plan your upcoming retirement. There are separate packages for Teachers and for PSSP.
Included are instructions on submitting your retirement to the Board which should be done with four weeks’ notice.
You should contact the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan or OMERS four months before you intend to retire for information and to start the paperwork process.
District 13 OSSTF honours its Permanent Teacher retirees at the District Annual Meeting in May and the Occasional Teacher and PSSP units at their individual AGMs. Your Branch President or Bargaining Unit President will have a free ticket for you, and we look forward to seeing you there.
Best wishes as you begin this new phase in your life!
Retirement Workshops (Times Updated)
There are two different types of retirement workshops available to our members at no cost every spring and fall. Due to COVID-19 restrictions and best practices, OSSTF, Educators Financial and OTIP have worked to create webinars for our members so that you can still get this information from a distance.
OSSTF in conjunction with Educators Financial
These webinars will focus specifically on pension planning and retirement. Whether members are fifteen years from retirement, or a few months away, they will discover common sense financial strategies and retirement planning ideas. The webinars are approximately 75 minutes long and provide opportunities for members to ask questions of the OSSTF/FEESO and EFG presenters. Members will also be able to request a meeting to speak privately with an EFG financial specialist assigned to their region when they complete the survey, or they can submit a request through the following web link: https://educatorsfinancialgroup.ca/. Please follow this link View System Requirements and go to the webcast webinar section in order to participate without technical difficulties.
• Wednesday, January 13 from 4:30 pm – 5:45 pm; to register, follow this link:
• Wednesday, February 17 from 5:00 pm – 6:15 pm; to register, follow this link:
• Thursday, April 8 from 4:30 pm – 5:45 pm; to register, follow this link:
• Tuesday, May 4 from 7:00 pm – 8:15 pm; to register, follow this link:
• Thursday, May 27 from 5:00 pm – 6:15 pm; to register, follow this link:
• Tuesday, February 16 from 5:00 pm – 6:15 pm; to register, follow this link:
• Wednesday, April 7 from 4:30 pm – 5:45 pm; to register, follow this link:
• Thursday, May 13 from 7:00 pm – 8:15 pm (French Webinar) ; to register, follow this link:
• Saturday, May 29 from 10:00 am – 11:15 am; to register, follow this link:
OTIP offers a workshop about retirement benefits. It covers valuable information that will be useful to all those planning to retire within the next five years.
"Walk into Retirement with a Plan” will be offered multiple times throughout the year. To register for one of the sessions, follow this link: www.otip.com/events.
Additional OMERS Workshops
OMERS offers webinars for members from all types of employers. The Power of Your Pension Plan is the general OMERS pension information webinar. But they also offer other short webinars on specific topics such as the AVC options, survivor benefits and preparing for retirement. Check frequently at www.omers.com/events for updates.
Stop Paying your LTD Premiums (Permanent Teachers)
As you near retirement, you may qualify to stop paying your LTD premiums if you meet one of three criteria:
• you are age 65
• you have a pension greater than 60% and you have reached your 85 factor
• you are within 110 working days of your announced retirement date
o If you intend to retire June 2021, this threshold is January 14th 2020 and you can request to stop paying your premiums at any time.
If you think any of these criteria apply to you, contact Nicole Bléau at the District Office for information on how to proceed.